The history of St. John’s Church can be traced back to at least 1826 when the congregation gathered in homes in the Steelstown area. The Sunday School was organized in 1841, meeting first in the home of Daniel Kelly, then in the home of David Blauch Sr. next to the old schoolhouse east of Steelstown, and finally in the Steelstown church building which was erected in 1858-59.
As the congregation grew, additions and renovations to the church facilities were completed in 1887, 1890, 1906, 1922, 1949, 1958, 1963, and 1983. The latest addition was completed and dedicated in December, 1991. The sanctuary was fully renovated in three phases between 1994 and 2001.
St. John’s has a strong history of evangelism and a firm commitment to preaching the Gospel. From post Civil War days, the congregation conducted outdoor summertime evangelistic services called “Woodsmeetings.” For many years, these outdoor services were held in various wooded areas in and around Steelstown. In 1930, the church obtained a grove of its own in Steelstown, establishing a stable and ample meeting place. The “Grove” continues to be used for morning worship, evening hymn-sings, fellowship, and outreach events.